Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's been way too long....



Wow...it's been two months since I have touched base with all of you. So much has happened in our life since then, writing was put on the back burner for awhile...I will try and catch you all up as quickly as possible.

After the Special Olympics were behind us, I concentrated on raising the 36 chicks I ordered that would eventually expand our food storage and supply us and the neighbors with fresh eggs...it was sad when we lost 3 the first week we put them outside, but it happens and as the days got warmer, they grew stronger and all 33 are big and healthy and should be laying by the end of this month!

For buying so many at a time, the hatchery sent us a free exotic chick! After seeing her, we decided they were free because that is the only way they could get rid of them...LOL
Bless her heart, she was an ugly little thing. After many hours of searching the net trying to put a breed name to her, I sent a picture to the hatchery for help. Martha, we call her Martha, is a Turken Naked Neck...Turken because she looks like a cross between a turkey and a chicken (even tho she isn't) and naked neck because she has no feathers on her neck...just feathers on her body and then a hat of feathers on her head...so ugly she was kind of cute...our heart went our to her, poor thing.

Martha has blossomed into a very attractive chicken...even tho she still has a naked neck, her feathers are a beautiful blend of golds and browns! Quite lovely, she is...

Then, the turkeys came! Talk about your dumb birds...LOL
They have truly been a challenge. Just trying to find a large enough space to keep them in so they are comfortable and confined (they fly...who knew?) has been the biggest challenge of all...we finally ended up putting them in the dog run! So far, so good! Oh, we bought 15! Yeah, I know...After a devastating night for us and the poor turkeys a couple of weeks ago (more for the turkeys!) ...we now have 11...but, since covering the run with deer netting (works for owls too!) they are doing great in the dog run.

We started a new garden area this year. We are trying the Square Foot Gardening method. The books and videos we read state that so much more can be grown that way then in the traditional long row gardening. We put in our raised beds and filled them with the soil mix that was recommended. Planting a few squares with seeds we watered and watched...

So far, we have harvested Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, Green Beans, Sugar Peas, Bunching Onions, Zucchini, Cilantro, Basil, Chives, Oregano, Cherry Tomatoes, and fresh lettuce almost everyday!!

Incredible, and with no weeding! None at all...absolutely the only way we will garden from now on! And, because it has thus far been so successful, my sweet husband is building me a greenhouse!

Our cousins, Dave and Carole Stucky, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and I was asked to replicate their wedding cake...I think it turned out pretty nice and they were very happy with it...there is a picture of it on my facebook page if you'd like to take a look! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1939008&id=774123496&comments=

July 4th, my father in law fell out of bed and broke his neck! That entailed many trips to O.H.S.U. (Oregon Health Science University) in Portland. Since my mother in law does not drive the freeways in Portland, we took her to visit and then to the follow up appointments as necessary...he is getting better with the help of Assured Home Health and a few special equipment items to help us in caring for him. We will find out in the next few weeks if the break is healing or if he will need a Halo.

We had family visit during this time and were thankful for their help as well.

And that brings us to me...I had surgery the 23rd of July and although I am doing just fine, it is apparent that with age also comes the knowledge that the healing process seems to take much more time than when I was younger! My doctor did not fail to tell me 'it takes a little longer for older women to bounce back'...When did that happen? And just when did 50 mean old! But, sad to say I think he was right...LOL

The upside of all this...I'm getting time at the computer and Hawk is almost finished! I'm in the editing process and should be finished soon! I'm also working on a Christmas story, Maddie's Miracle. I will post the first part here in the next few days for you to read and send feedback.

Well, that pretty much catches you up to what has been going on in my world, please feel free to let me know what is happening in yours. Until next time...

Prayers,
Cindi

No comments:

Welcome to my blog....

I may feel the need to talk about my books, what's happening in the world around me, or my family. What ever I write about, rest assured it will be what I believe and I hope in reading my Blog, you will get to know me.

I hope you enjoy your time here. I look forward to hearing from you all. Positive or negative, I appreciate all comments left for me.

prayers,
Cindi