Saturday, June 6, 2009

Summer Games....

Washington Special Olympics held their Summer State games at Ft. Lewis May 30-31 amidst the heat and almost 9000 athletes, volunteers, and spectators. With coach, Randy Roberts and chaperons Bob Hepner and Denice Dunne, it was medals all around for the athletes of the Lewis County Track and Field team. Bringing home the Gold were Chris Bushnell for the 100 Meter Walk and a Silver medal for the Running Long Jump. Ben Draper, Stephanie Hepner, and Carina Mitchell won Gold for the Softball Throw, Joy Watson took home two Gold medals for the 200-Meter Walk and the Running Long Jump. Bobby Hepner took Gold in the 200 Meter Dash while bringing home a Silver medal in the Shot Put. The 4x100 Meter Relay Team, Bobby Hepner, D.J. Glenn, Charlie Mitchell, and Trevor Gocha, received a Silver medal for their efforts. Athletes that win Gold at the State level of competition may have a chance to compete in the National Games this year in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Our children have been competing in the Special Olympics for about 17 years and have won several medals of all colors and an equal amount of ribbons. They are so proud of them and insist that we keep them in the safe so no one will steal them. This year I had to remove some of our important papers so that the medals would fit!

Volunteering and chaperoning the kids has been such a blessing in our lives and so much fun for our children. Everyone is a winner and to watch the kids try so hard to do what you and I take for granted each and every day can be heartbreaking yet joyous when they cross the finish line.

The soldiers at Ft. Lewis are amazing...it is apparent that they love helping the athletes and family members that go to watch. They are there all week-end giving of themselves in all capacities whether it be picking up trash, cleaning clogged bathroom drains, or running to the aide of a fallen athlete. They are truly heroes in my book!

Well, I thought I would share a little bit with you and hope to write more soon....

prayers,
Cindi

No comments:

Welcome to my blog....

I may feel the need to talk about my books, what's happening in the world around me, or my family. What ever I write about, rest assured it will be what I believe and I hope in reading my Blog, you will get to know me.

I hope you enjoy your time here. I look forward to hearing from you all. Positive or negative, I appreciate all comments left for me.

prayers,
Cindi