Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Where does the time go?......

Christmas is here again and I can truthfully say this year...I'm not ready!

It has been years since I felt this un-organized at Christmas. I look around and see the house all decorated. The lights are blinking off and on outside with the help of the nifty new toy my husband bought at Costco last year; you all know the one. The Nativity is set up outside and the Angel is glowing. We freed Frosty and he stands tall and bright next to my beautiful and getting way too BIG Blue Spruce I planted when we moved in 19 years ago. Somehow I still feel that it can't be Christmas yet.

I think of Christmas' past and drift back to many years ago when I was a child and Christmas was still an awe and a wonderment. Christmas was what we waited all year for. The time when we knew all the pain and suffering we went through to be 'good' was about to pay off. Yes, Christmas was the ultimate payment. Payment for chores done, school work accomplished, and playing house, dolls, or army with the little ones..even when you didn't want to. Yes, Christmas was our yearly reward and we couldn't wait for it to come around every year.

Aunts and Uncles, cousins and friends. They always came to celebrate and eat all the good food my mom would prepare for the night. Then about 9 o'clock we would open the gifts that were brought to us from the family that came to visit. That would take hours! Or at least it seemed like hours. We opened the gifts one at a time so Mom could see the reaction from each of us. She would hand out the gifts and we would set them on our laps and wait for the ooohs and aaahs secretly hoping that they would just hurry up so you could get to your turn. This would go on for a couple of hours and then when it was all over, we would beg Mom to let us open just one more that was under the tree for us from her and Daddy. She would have to think about it for a few minutes and then 'finally' agree to let us open just one more...and always the one she picked out...and always, always a new pair of pajamas. Even though we knew what the gift would be, excitement still filled us as we ripped the paper off.

Every Christmas was the same. Every Christmas was still the ultimate reward. And every Christmas was always..always filled with the love of family and friends.

Then we get older and have children of our own. We try to carry on the traditions of our childhood or in some cases, make new ones. But, one thing always rings out above anything else. Christmas always meant a house full of family. It was always standing room only at our house when I was growing up and it was so much fun!

This year will be just as it has been for the last nineteen years. The house will be decorated, the food will be out, family and friends will stop by for a bit to enjoy the food and each other. The kids will beg for just one gift to open before going to bed. I will pretend to think about it for a moment or two before giving in and hunting for just that perfect gift...the kids will rip off the paper and the ooohing and aaahing will commence over yet another pair of new pajamas!

Merry Christmas to all and my wishes for a wonderful and full New Year!

No comments:

Welcome to my blog....

I may feel the need to talk about my books, what's happening in the world around me, or my family. What ever I write about, rest assured it will be what I believe and I hope in reading my Blog, you will get to know me.

I hope you enjoy your time here. I look forward to hearing from you all. Positive or negative, I appreciate all comments left for me.

prayers,
Cindi